Swann has once again partnered with Mining Journal Intelligence to produce the Global Leadership Report for 2021.
This important annual publication is based on exclusive in-depth interviews with 37 senior executives from mining companies. All the companies approached have a market cap of USD 1 billion+ and collectively they represent an overall market capitalisation of more than USD650 billion.
An analysis of these interviews is combined with the results of a survey completed by 400+ mining professionals and stakeholders to identify the C-Suite Agenda: the greatest challenges facing leadership teams now, and how they believe it might look in ten years’ time.
Researchers have been able to compare the results of last year’s analysis with the latest data, and can also drill down into the demographic data, such as age, gender, and location.
- Safety remains the highest immediate priority for the C-suite, while responsible sourcing tops the list of future priorities
- Regulatory compliance has become a higher priority as world events trigger fears of resource nationalisation.
- Culture and employee engagement, on the other hand, has become less of a priority, overtaken by the more immediate concerns of environment and climate change.
- Community engagement and social licence to operate, however, are a top three priority now and for the future.
The concerns are divided into three categories, Trust, Transformation and Traditional, and finds leaders working hard to deal with the immediate challenges of Covid-19 alongside the longer term need to transform and modernise the sector.
Compiled and edited by the Mining Journal’s Chris Cann, the full report is available to buy from MJI or free to all Mining Journal Premium subscribers. It includes detailed analysis and findings from the research and edited transcripts of the interviews with mining luminaries.
An executive summary of the Global Leadership Report can be downloaded from the Swann Group website. It includes an article by Skein’s Tom Aldridge on the need for leaders to understand themselves and balance complexity with simplicity.
- Simon Wandke, Chief Executive, ArcelorMittal Mining
- Natascha Viljoen, Chief Executive, Anglo American Platinum
- Vladimir Kiryukhin, Chief Executive, EN+ Group
- David Strang, Chief Executive, ERO Copper
- Gordon Stothart, President and Chief Executive, IAMGOLD
- Alexander Shevelev, Chief Executive, Severstal
- Mikael Staffas, President and Chief Executive, Boliden
- Ken Seitz, Executive Vice President and Chief Executive (Potash), Nutrien
- J. Paul Rollinson, Chief Executive, Kinross Gold
- Jim North, Interim Group Chief Executive, Ferrexpo
- Vitaly Nesis, Chief Executive, Polymetal International
- Arun Misra, Chief Executive, Hindustan Zinc
- Christian Milau, Chief Executive, Equinox Gold
- John McCluskey, Chief Executive, Alamos Gold
- Jody Kuzenko, President and Chief Executive, Torex Gold Resources
- Tony Makuch, President and Chief Executive, Kirkland Lake Gold
- Peter Marrone, Executive Chairman, Yamana Gold
- Peter Kukielski, President and Chief Executive, Hudbay Minerals
- Jake Klein, Executive Chairman, Evolution Mining
- Don Lindsay, President and Chief Executive, Teck Resources
- Greg Lang, President and Chief Executive, Novagold
- Mitchell Krebs, President and Chief Executive, Coeur Mining
- Clive Johnson, President and Chief Executive, B2Gold
- Martin Horgan, Chief Executive, Centamin
- Pavel Grachev, Chief Executive, Polyus
- Elizabeth Gaines, Chief Executive, Fortescue Metals
- Mike Ferraro, Chief Executive and Managing Director, Alumina
- Mark Cutifani, Chief Executive, Anglo American
- Marna Cloete, President and Chief Financial Officer, Ivanhoe Mines
- Mark Bristow, President and Chief Executive, Barrick Gold
- Peter Bradford, Chief Executive and Managing Director, IGO
- Sean Boyd, Vice-Chairman and Chief Executive, Agnico Eagle
- Sandeep Biswas, Managing Director and Chief Executive, Newcrest Mining
- Phillips Baker, President and Chief Executive, Hecla Mining
- Bold Baatar, Chief Executive (Copper), Rio Tinto
- Iván Arriagada, Chief Executive, Antofagasta
- Richard Adkerson, Chairman and Chief Executive, Freeport-McMoran
Download the Global Leadership Report summary from the Swann Group website.